Miami’s South Beach is more than just a hot spot for young singles; it’s a great place to take your family! With year-round tropical weather and clear blue water, Miami is a fun destination for families looking to be outdoors and enjoy the sun. Here’s our advice on where to stay and what to do.
1) Stay in the heart of the action: South Beach! There are many choices, from budget to luxury hotels, on Collins Avenue in the heart of South Beach. We spent spring break week at the Loews Miami Beach hotel which was steps away from the white sand beach. The hotel is also close to a pedestrian only area with plenty of restaurants and shops. Our boys loved how clear and calm the water was; we could see fish swim by. We rented a cabana by the pool which I would highly recommend.
After a few hours by the pool, we walked across a pedestrian and bike path to the beach. Included with our poolside cabana was a lovely beachside cabana. The complimentary toys kept my boys busy while waiters stopped by refreshing our drinks and offering us food to purchase.
2) Visit the Miami seaquarium. My boys enjoyed the interactive exhibits and the tropical reef. The Flipper dolphin show was one of our favorites. Those dolphins performed amazing tricks. At the Manatee exhibit, we were face to face with Florida’s famous mammal. For the 16 and older crowd, there’s a trainer for the day program.
3) If you like animals and animal shows as much as we do, check out Jungle Island and the Miami Zoo. Jungle Island is home to more than 1,000 parrots as well as big cats, primates and reptiles. It’s great for preschoolers who love seeing colorful birds. The Zoo is fantastic for all ages. It’s larger than Jungle Island.
4) Right across the causeway from Jungle Island is the Miami Children’s Museum. It’s perfect if it rains and you need an indoor activity. From interactive exhibits to plenty of construction toys, you can find something to keep your children busy for a few hours.
5) Take a trip to the Everglades! If you’re up for an adventure, you can’t miss a tour of the Everglades. You can hike, bike, boat, or kayak. For young families, try one of the guided boat tours of the Ten-Thousand Islands.
Miami is now one of our favorite family destinations. We can’t wait to return! What are your favorite things to do in Miami and where do you like to stay?